Say Amen, Somebody
The new 4K restoration of Say Amen, Somebody opened September 6–26 at NYC's Lincoln Center and will be showing around the world in the fall of 2019.
- Film at Lincoln Center // New York, NY // Sept. 6 – 26, 2019
- Amherst Cinema Arts Center // Amherst, MA // Sept. 11, 2019
- Northwest Film Center // Portland, OR // Sept. 13 – 15, 2019
- Northwest Film Forum // Seattle, WA // Sept. 13 – 19, 2019
- Vancity Theatre // Vancouver, BC // Sept. 13 – 19, 2019
- Galleria 6 Cinemas // St. Louis, MO // Sept. 13 – 19, 2019
- Danish Film Institute // Copenhagen, DENMARK // Sept. 13 – 22, 2019
- Music Box Theater // Chicago, IL // Sept. 14 – 15, 2019
- University of Wisconsin Cinematheque // Madison, WI // Sept. 14, 2019
- Ragtag Cinema // Columbia, MO // Sept. 14 – 19, 2019
- Grand Cinema // Tacoma, WA // Sept. 18, 2019
- Laemmle Music Hall Theater // Beverly Hills, CA // Sept. 20-26, 2019
- Studio Movie Grill // Chicago, IL (South Side) // Sept. 20 – 26, 2019
- Real Art Ways // Hartford, CT // Sept. 20 – 26, 2019
- Liberty Theatre // Camas, WA // Sept. 20 – 26, 2019
- Laemmle Town Center 5 // Encino, CA // September 23-24, 2019
- Laemmle Royal Theatre // W. Los Angeles, CA // September 23-24, 2019
- Laemmle Claremont 5 // Claremont, CA // September 23-24, 2019
- Laemmle Playhouse 7 // Pasadena, CA // September 23-24, 2019
- Guild Cinema // Albuquerque, NM // Sept. 24-25 and Oct 1-3, 2019
- CCA Cinematheque // Santa Fe, NM // Sept. 27 – October 3, 2019
- Digital Gym // San Diego, CA // Sept. 27 – October 3, 2019
- African American Museum // Philadelphia, PA // September 28, 2019
- Frida Cinema // Santa Ana, CA // September 28 – 30, 2019
- Pickford Film Center // Bellingham, WA // October 13 + 21
- Midtown Art Cinema // Atlanta, GA // October 25 – 31, 2019
- Rosendale Theatre, Rosendale, NY / December 18, 2019
One of the most acclaimed music documentaries of all time, Say Amen, Somebody is George Nierenberg’s masterpiece — a joyous, funny, deeply emotional celebration of African American culture, featuring the father of Gospel, Thomas A. Dorsey ("Precious Lord, Take My Hand"); its matron, Mother Willie Mae Ford Smith; and earth-shaking performances by the Barrett Sisters and the O'Neal Twins. When it was first released in the early 1980s, the film received an overwhelming critical response, garnering rave reviews around the world.
“One of the most joyful movies I’ve ever seen.”
— Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times
“The film’s mood is never less than marvelously infectious.”
— Richard Schickel, Time
“The music conquers doubt and unhappiness, and when it ends, you feel healed.”
— David Denby, New York Magazine
Quoting Willie Mae Ford Smith: “‘I just have a feeling within… You can’t help yourself. It goes between the marrow and the bones. I feel like I could fly’…
[the film] has the same uplifting effect on its audience.”
— Kathleen Carroll, New York Daily News
The new 4K restoration of Say Amen, Somebody is now available only for institutional sale that includes public performance rights and a streaming license for 3-years from date of purchase. (Please see here for further details.)
See also on Milestone’s website, George Nierenberg's amazing No Maps on My Taps and About Tap.
For more information, please check out the website for film and
An Explanation of Home, Classroom, and Public Performance Rights
US and Canadian nonprofit educational institutions that wish to show a film publicly outside of a scheduled class need to purchase DVDs, DVD-Rs, and Blu-rays at the institutional rate — which grants 3-year in-house streaming rights and an on-site public performance license. This in-house streaming license is for a term of three years from the date of purchase and grants the purchasing institution the right to stream over a single secure server with a password-protected connection. Streaming access must be strictly limited to currently enrolled students, faculty, and staff. Streaming rights extensions can be negotiated with Milestone after the initial three-year term has lapsed. Milestone retains the right to terminate this agreement at any time. No broadcast, Internet or other rights are granted or implied.These rights are for on-site use only per the license agreement. For more information on
Similarly, US and Canadian nonprofit educational institutions that wish to show a film publicly outside of a scheduled class via Milestone’s streaming site must contact Milestone to arrange a separate public performance license. For more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
US and Canadian nonprofit educational institutions that wish to screen a DVD, DVD-R, or Blu-ray they already own in an open showing must purchase a public performance license. For more information, please email email@example.com.
The purchase of DVDs, DVD-Rs, and Blu-rays at the institutional rate by anyone outside of a North American non-profit educational institution does not grant rights for public performance or streaming.
Any continuous or loop screenings as part of a museum exhibition must also be licensed separately. Inquiries must be negotiated directly with Milestone by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Information for Exhibitors Screening DCPs and Film Prints
All bookings must be made by phone or email correspondence with Amy Heller (201.767.3117 or email@example.com) to negotiate terms and insure a screening copy is available. An order is only finalized when Milestone sends a written confirmation.
DCPs are shipped insured for their cost via Federal Express or UPS and must be returned the same way or by an equivalent method. Shipping and handling charges for outgoing DCPs appear on your invoice. The immediate return or transshipment (as directed) of all DCPs is your responsibility.
DCPs should be returned to:
Milestone Film & Video
38 George Street
Harrington Park, New Jersey 07640-0128
35mm and 16mm prints are shipped insured for their cost via Federal Express or UPS and must be returned the same way or by an equivalent method. Please do not ship prints back via US Mail. Exhibitor pays to ship both ways. Shipping and handling charges for outgoing prints appear on your invoice. The immediate return of all prints is your responsibility.
Prints should be returned insured for $1,000 to:
Attn: Milestone Account
235 Main Street
Little Falls, NJ 07424
For public screenings, advertising materials can be requested by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
Milestone is the exclusive licensor for all the titles in this catalog, all of which are available here in their complete versions.