Magic Box: Project Shirley, The Volume 4
SHIRLEY CLARKE was brilliant, scandalous, bold, and incredibly talented. Had she been a man, film historians would have long ago placed her in the pantheon of great auteurs, alongside Orson Welles and John Cassavetes. Today, her triumph can be recognized in her ability to be herself— one of the great originals of her time. A true artist, Clarke combined her innate impishness and sense of adventure with a dancer’s aesthetic and her tremendous drive to battle injustice to make films that dazzle, challenge, and beguile the audience. The Magic Box is the culmination of Milestone’s “Project Shirley” — an eight-year-long effort to explore the films and life of this extraordinary woman. Working with film archives and Clarke’s daughter Wendy, Milestone has been able to explore the wide range of the filmmaker’s output. The Magic Box includes Clarke’s Academy Award-winning documentary, Robert Frost: A Lover’s Quarrel With the World, experimental shorts, “lost” films, unfinished projects, outtakes, and a lifetime of home movies. Disc one highlights Clarke’s brilliant experimental works. Disc two compiles her gorgeous dance films. Disc three features Robert Frost: A Lover’s Quarrel With the World, Christopher and Me, and a wealth of home movies from Clarke’s long life. The Magic Box includes a brochure to put all her work in context and be a guide to the treasures that await.
THE MAGIC BOX: The films of Shirley Clarke, 1929-1987: PROJECT SHIRLEY VOLUME 4. B&W and Color. Magic Box Producers: Dennis Doros and Amy Heller. Thanks to Wendy Clarke, Wisconsin Center for Theater and Film Research, The Museum of Modern Art Film Department, the National Archives, the Anthology Film Archives, the UCLA Film and Television Archive, the Academy Film Archive, and Metropolis Post. Cover designed by Lauren Caddick.
EXPERIMENTAL – DISC 1
1. Brussels Loops (58:52)
2. Bridges-Go-Round 1 (4:07)
3. Bridges-Go-Round 2 (4:16)
4. Scary Time (16:02)
5. Skyscraper (21:11)
6. Butterfly (3:41)
7. Tongues (20:22)
8. Savage/Love (26:20)
9. 24 Frames Per Second (2:59)
10. Three Video Variations on 24 Frames Per Second (11:39)
DANCE – DISC 2
1. Shirley Dancing – A Photo Gallery (1:11)
2. Fear Flight (10:57)
3. Jelly Roll Morton (1:48)
4. Home Movies #20: Dance Tests (5:53)
5. Dance in the Sun (7:03)
6. In Paris Parks (13:46)
7. In Paris Parks Outtakes (9:08)
8. This Is Not In Paris Parks (14:20)
9. Decroux (15:30)
10. Bullfight (9:18)
11. Bullfight Outtakes (1:35)
12. Rose and the Players – Part 1 (13:19)
13. Rose and the Players – Part 2 (6:45)
14. A Moment in Love (9:06)
15. Four Journeys Into Mystic Time: Initiation (28:13)
16. Four Journeys Into Mystic Time: Trans (7:38)
17. Four Journeys Into Mystic Time: One-Two-Three (8:20)
18. Four Journeys Into Mystic Time: Mysterium (13:52)
ROBERT FROST & THE HOME MOVIES – DISC 3
1. Robert Frost: A Lover’s Quarrel With The World (52:05)
2. Christopher and Me (16:00)
3. Shirley Brimberg Home Movies (When She Was Young) (5:46)
4. Home Movies #10 Wedding and Pregnancy (7:43)
5. Home Movies #18 Florida (4:59)
6. Home Movies #14 with Helen Tamiris and Uday Shankar (4:13)
7. Home Movies #15 Shirley with Camera (8:12)
8. Home Movies #16 Summer Camp and Edith Stein (11:06)
9. Television Interview: Shirley Clarke in Minneapolis (3:19)
10. Lion’s Love Outtakes (13:10)
11. The Brimberg and Clarke Photo Albums (5:46)
An Explanation of Home, Classroom, and Public Performance Rights
Through our distribution partner, Kino Lorber, Milestone provides a variety of licensing to suit all needs. Our standard institutional licensing packages are designed to provide colleges, universities and qualified non-profits with the best value for multiple uses, and our one-time community screening licenses allow any organization to exhibit high-quality films for a reasonable fee. Please note that all licensing carries restrictions on audience numbers and/or geographic range.
STANDARD INSTITUTIONAL LICENSING
- CLASSROOM RIGHTS allow unlimited use in face-to-face classroom situations for the life of the media, restricted to a single campus or location. Please note that this license doesn't include public screenings or digital transmission of any kind.
- PUBLIC PERFORMANCE RIGHTS (PPR) allow educational and nonprofit groups to exhibit our films to groups of 100 or fewer individuals where admission is not charged. The term of the public performance license is for the life of the DVD. However, if you intend to charge admission, expect an audience over 100, or publicly advertise the screening, then we ask that you contact us regarding an exhibition fee. Films purchased without Public Performance Rights are restricted for individual viewing or face-to-face teaching in the classroom only.
- DIGITAL SITE LICENSES (DSL) allow colleges, universities and nonprofits to locally host and stream to their community on a closed, password-protected system for the life of the digital file.
- K-12 PPR comes with limited performance rights so films can be shown in classrooms, at PTA meetings, during after school programs, and transmitted on a closed-circuit system within a K-12 school building or on a single campus.
For all educational licenses and screenings, please Estelle Grosso, Director of Educational and Non-Theatrical Sales & Distribution at Kino Lorber (Milestone’s distribution partner) at: email@example.com.
The purchase of DVDs, DVD-Rs, and Blu-rays at the institutional rate by anyone outside of a North American non-profit educational institution does not grant rights for public performance or streaming.
Any continuous or loop screenings as part of a museum exhibition must also be licensed separately. Inquiries must be negotiated directly by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Information for Exhibitors Screening DCPs and Film Prints
All bookings must be made by email correspondence with George Schmalz, Director of Theatrical Sales at Kino Lorber (Milestone’s distribution partner) at: email@example.com to negotiate terms and insure a screening copy is available. An order is only finalized when Kino Lorber sends written confirmation.
DCPs are shipped insured for their cost via Federal Express or UPS and must be returned the same way or by an equivalent method. Shipping and handling charges for outgoing DCPs appear on your invoice. The immediate return or transshipment (as directed) of all DCPs is your responsibility.
DCPs should be returned to:
Milestone Film & Video
38 George Street
Harrington Park, New Jersey 07640-0128
35mm and 16mm prints are shipped insured for their cost via Federal Express or UPS and must be returned the same way or by an equivalent method. Please do not ship prints back via US Mail. Exhibitor pays to ship both ways. Shipping and handling charges for outgoing prints appear on your invoice. The immediate return of all prints is your responsibility.
Prints should be returned insured for $1,000 to:
Attn: Milestone Account
235 Main Street
Little Falls, NJ 07424
For public screenings, advertising materials can be requested by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
Milestone is the exclusive licensor for all the titles in this catalog, all of which are available from Milestone’s distribution partner Kino Lorber. in their complete versions.